the advocates helping hand

What If I Cannot Work After an Accident?



What If I Cannot Work After an Accident?


If you were injured in an accident, you might have to miss work to get treatment. You may not be able to work at all because your injury prevents you from doing your job. If the accident was not your fault, you may be entitled to compensation for your lost wages.

Recoverable Lost Wages

You could recover wages lost while you were unable to work. Say you broke your hip, and need to stay home. You can be compensated for the wages you lost recovering. You can also recover wages lost by missing work to receive medical treatment. If things are worse than that, say you will never be able to work in your field again – perhaps you were a surgeon and your hands are damaged – you are entitled to damages to compensate you for the career you might have had if you had not been injured.

Getting Your Insurance to Cover the Lost Wages

If you need money before you receive a settlement you may receive some compensation for lost wages under your PIP coverage. In Utah, every policy must carry personal-Injury protection. It is money that is used to cover medical expenses no matter who was at fault for the accident. The coverage includes a limited sum for lost wages, and you can even claim it if the accident was your fault.

Lost Wages as Part of a Damage Award

The biggest source for compensation for lost wages is your damage award. If the accident was not your fault, and can show that you lost wages because of the accident, you can ask the responsible party to cover your lost wages or potential lost wages in the settlement.

In order to prove that you have lost wages, you may need a statement from your boss or supervisor detailing the things you have missed at work. It would also be helpful to have dated table of the times you should have been working, but were not able to. If the lost wages are more general, employment data for someone with your skills can help too.


No comments so far!


Leave a Comment